Lena Waithe on Casting Big Sean for BET Series ‘Twenties’: ‘He’s Phenomenal, So Natural’

Variety | 8/1/2019 | Shirley Ju
joyyjoyy (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2019/08/big-sean-lena-waithe.jpg?w=700&h=393&crop=1

Lena Waithe will helm a new television series called “Twenties,” set to premiere in 2020 on BET Networks. The actress, screenwriter, and producer is executive producer on the half-hour comedy, which depicts a group of friends in their twenties trying to navigate careers, love and relationships, and life in general. Loosely based on Waithe’s own experiences in Los Angeles, the eight-episode series stars “JoJo” T. Gibbs, Christina Elmore, Gabrielle Graham, Sophina Brown and Big Sean.

“It really is a figment of my imagination,” Waithe tells Variety of the storyline. “But I’m pulling little things about my drive, my hunger, and the frustrations that come with the business [that can be relatable to anyone].”

Terms - Cast - Waithe - Jonica - Jojo

In terms of the cast, Waithe discovered Jonica “Jojo” T. Gibbs, who plays Hattie, because she was actually interested in funding her web series titled “No More Comics In LA.” As Gibbs recounts: “We were doing a crowdfunding campaign for my web series. We hit up Lena, she donated to the campaign and asked, ‘What are you trying to do? Are you trying to act? Are you trying to write? Are you trying to do comedy?’ I’m like, ‘I’m tryna do all of that! It was just divine timing!” Gibbs describes the show as “very funny and very relatable.”

'Queen & Slim' Director Melina Matsoukas Says Movie Is a 'Beautiful, Modern Black Love Story'

Twenties - Sean - Debut - Tristan - Waithe

“Twenties” also sees Big Sean making his acting debut as Tristan. It was after Waithe heard the Detroit rapper shout out her name during a concert that she reached out via social media. Eventually, the two met up and it was a wrap from there. Says Sean: “I love Lena because of her spirit and determination to win. She has an unstoppable hunger and in this industry, that’s what you need. It’s one of the qualities I...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Variety
Wake Up To Breaking News!