Puerto Rico governor chooses possible successor

Mail Online | 7/31/2019 | Associated Press;Adry Torres For Dailymail.com
camkizzle (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/07/31/15/16724442-0-image-a-2_1564582780012.jpg

Puerto Rico Governor Ricardo Rosselló has chosen the U.S. territory's next secretary of state and his possible replacement once he officially steps down from office Friday.

However, legislators are not expected to approve the naming of the former Congress representative Pedro Pierluisi to the vacant post.

Rosselló - Announcement - Wednesday - Twitter - Week

The embattled Rosselló made the announcement Wednesday via Twitter - less than a week after he submitted his resignation in a pre-recorded Facebook video statement - and said he would hold a special session on Thursday so legislators can vote on his nomination.

'After much analysis and taking the best interests of our people, I have selected Pedro Pierluisi Urrutia to fill the vacant Secretary of State,' Rosselló said.

'I - Multiple - Options - Position - Responsibility

'I have weighed multiple options to fulfill this position and the enormous responsibility it holds. The historic moment requires a person able to reestablish relationships with all sectors, both locally and nationally.'

Top legislators have already said they will reject Pierluisi's nomination because he works for a law firm that represents the federal control board overseeing Puerto Rico's finances and say that's a conflict of interest.

Puerto - Rican - Outlet - Metro - Pr

According to Puerto Rican outlet Metro Pr, it became known widely known that the House of Representatives and Senate in Puerto Rico would not sign off on Rosselló's pick before he publicly announced it anyway.

The seat has been empty since Luis Rivera Marín stepped down July 13.

Pierluisi - Puerto - Rico - Congress - New

Pierluisi represented Puerto Rico in Congress from 2009-2017, and lost the 2016 New Progressive Party governor's primary to Rosselló.

'I am convinced that he is an excellent member who fulfills the merits of the times we live,' Rosselló said.

Sources - Puerto - Rican - Newspaper - El

Sources told Puerto Rican newspaper El Vocero that party officials were trying to sway Rosselló into naming Senate president Thomas Rivera Schatz as the next...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
It had only one fault, it was useless.