U.S. Senate candidate Mark Kelly blasts Tucson 'sanctuary city' initiative

AZFamily | 7/24/2019 | Staff
marika (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/azfamily.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/d/c7/dc7c299c-ae3d-11e9-a177-ff075c217efa/5d389e72a8be6.image.jpg?resize=1119%2C630

PHOENIX (3TV/CBS5) -- Democratic candidate for the U.S. Senate Mark Kelly blasted an initiative to make Tucson a "sanctuary city," saying that he will not vote for the measure.

"(I'm) strongly against this, I'm not going to vote for it," Kelly said Tuesday, "I think it's a mistake."

November - Voters - Tucson - Arizona - City

In November, voters will decide whether Tucson declares itself Arizona's first "sanctuary city," which limits local law enforcement’s cooperation with federal immigration agents.

Kelly, a former Navy fighter pilot and astronaut, said cities and states should follow federal laws.

Favor - City - Tucson - Funding

"This is contrary to that so I'm not in favor of that. I think it's also detrimental to the City of Tucson in that it could impact some federal funding it receives," he said.

In criticizing the measure, Kelly finds himself in agreement with his likely political opponent next year, Republican Sen. Martha McSally.

Monday - McSally - KTAR - News - Ballot

On Monday, McSally told KTAR News that she was "disturbed" by the ballot measure.

"I mean, this basically means it would be a sanctuary for criminals. That’s what sanctuary cities mean,"...
(Excerpt) Read more at: AZFamily
Wake Up To Breaking News!