Another Bicyclist Killed: 18th To Die This Year After Being Struck, Killed By Truck In Brooklyn

newyork.cbslocal.com | 7/29/2019 | Staff
finter (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://newyork.cbslocal.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/14578484/2019/07/Cyclist.jpg?w=1024

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – Another bicyclist has been struck and killed on the streets of New York City.

It happened around 9 a.m. at 35th Street and Third Avenue in the Greenwood Heights section of Brooklyn. According to police, 30-year-old Em Samolewicz swerved to avoid a car door that was opening and went into traffic, where she was struck and killed by a tractor-trailer truck.

Samolewicz - Arrival - Lutheran - Hospital - No

Samolewicz was pronounced dead on arrival at Lutheran Hospital. No charges have been filed, police say no criminality was involved.

The driver of the van told CBS2’s Lisa Rozner he feels horrible.

AGAINST - Law - Car - Door - Path

“It is AGAINST the law to open a car door into the path of a cyclist. Our lives are in each other’s hands. We must act like it,” Mayor Bill de Blasio wrote on Twitter. “Rising cyclist fatalities are a crisis. We will do everything in our power to stop them.”

“Pay attention. Drivers must pay attention to make sure that they will be able to see there is not a cyclist coming,” said Assemblyman Felix Ortiz, who lives a block away from the scene of the accident.

Possibility - Life - Line - Time - Cyclist

“It’s scary just to think about the possibility that my life is on the line every time I bike ride just to go to work,” cyclist Miguel Gomez said. “I’ve been doored plenty of times. I’ve been doored, like, four times. Luckily, I don’t ride that fast just because I want to be safe, but yeah, it’s a scary thing. It happens all the time.”

Bike advocates say the area where the accident happened is a deadly corridor.

Third - Avenue - Lanes - Cars - Zero

“Third Avenue, which has eight lanes for cars and zero for bikes, is a product of a bygone era when transportation decisions were made with the sole intention of moving as many vehicles as possible through our neighborhoods, without regard to the people living and...
(Excerpt) Read more at: newyork.cbslocal.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!
I find it extremely funny when people keep voting and expecting the government to change!