‘Legion’: Jemaine Clement and Noah Hawley Break Down That Fairy Tale Rap Battle

IndieWire | 7/29/2019 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://www.indiewire.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/legion_306_1525r.jpg

In a way, this was inevitable. The latest episode of “Legion” featured a rap battle between Oliver (Jemaine Clement) and The Big Bad Wolf (Jason Mantzoukas), where the winner gains control over a young girl’s fate. I mean, it’s obvious. How could the third and final season of “Legion” not include an episode that’s basically a fairy tale about nature vs. nurture that features a “magical mammal” dropping the mic on a “supine lupine”?

“I really liked that about this show — that it can almost change genre, even within the episode, a couple of times,” Clement said in an interview with IndieWire. “It’s always great turning up and seeing what crazy stuff they’ve built or the ideas that are thrown around.”

Therein - Inevitability - Scene - Episode - Legion

Therein lies the inevitability in what’s an otherwise unexpected scene within an astonishing sixth episode: “Legion” has been creating big musical numbers since the beginning. Whether it’s David (Dan Stevens) leading a jubilant dance sequence joined by inmates in an insane asylum or squaring off with Amahl Farouk (then embodied by Aubrey Plaza) in a Season 2 dance battle, writer-showrunner Noah Hawley is always looking for ways to incorporate music into his “not your everyday” superhero story.

“There are only so many ways you can punch someone,” Clement said. “So [Hawley] tries different things to have an original confrontation in each episode.”

Plan - Hawley - Script - Idea - Battle

“It wasn’t my plan,” Hawley said. “I didn’t go into the script with that idea [for a rap battle]. I just started thinking about what that battle should be and thought, ‘Well, it’s Jemaine.’ I would be depriving his fans and my audience of a golden opportunity if I didn’t take this seriously.”

This particular confrontation was set up by Hawley’s unique take on the episode.

Idea - Point - Story - David - Syd

“I always had this idea that at a certain point in the story David fractures Syd’s...
(Excerpt) Read more at: IndieWire
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Don't panic!