Retired FBI Profiler and ‘Mindhunter’ Author John Douglas on ID’s ‘Serial Killer’ Series

Collider | 7/29/2019 | Jeff Sneider
Click For Photo: http://cdn.collider.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/john-douglas-1-600x305.png

Over the course of the last year, I have read nearly every crime book written by John E. Douglas and Mark Olshaker, the authors of Mindhunter, which inspired David Fincher‘s Netflix series of the same name. So when I was offered the chance to interview Douglas, a retired FBI profile who served as the basis for Scott Glenn‘s character in The Silence of the Lambs, I jumped at the opportunity.

Douglas has come face-to-face with the worst evil this world has to offer, so it’s fitting that he appears as an expert on Investigation Discovery’s Serial Killer: Devil Unchained, a three-part limited series about convicted murderer and rapist Todd Kohlhepp, who was arrested after a young woman escaped from a shipping container on his property. Kohlhepp is one of four murderers whose crimes are examined in Douglas and Olshaker’s latest book, The Killer Across the Table, which was published in May.

Douglas - Interview - Attitude - Folks - FBI

Douglas made for an absolutely fascinating interview, and while I can see why his headstrong attitude might have rubbed some folks at the FBI the wrong way, it’s clear that he’s an expert on the darkest corners of the human psyche. I could’ve spoken with him for several more hours, but I made the most out of time our limited time together, and I hope you’ll enjoy my chat with the Mindhunter himself.

How do you prepare to interview a guy like Todd Kohlhepp? How many hours do you spend reviewing case files and evidence and all that?

John - E - Douglas - Interviews - Books

John E. Douglas: When you do interviews, and you know this because you’ve read my books, you know that to understand the artist, you must look at the artwork. You’ve heard me say that behavior reflects personality. The key thing I learned early on, which I didn’t do initially… I wasn’t as thorough years and...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Collider
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Would you let a person who could only get a government job run your life? Well don't!