I got more than $2,000 worth of value from the American Express Platinum credit card in my first year — despite its $550 annual fee

Business Insider | 7/29/2019 | David Slotnick
adele2234 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://amp.businessinsider.com/images/5d3f5a90a209d3509d5afebc-1920-960.jpg

The Platinum Card® from American Express comes with a much higher annual fee than most credit or charge cards, which can scare off some people. However, the card comes with enough perks, rewards, and tangible benefits to far outweigh that annual fee.

After some back and forth, I finally decided to open the card, and in just the first year, I got more than $2,000 worth of value.

Airport - Lounge - Access - Uber - Credits

Airport lounge access, up to $200 in Uber credits each year, up to a $200 annual airline-fee credit, up to $100 in annual shopping credits, elite status at Marriott and Hilton hotels, special perks at other hotels and resorts, and access to exclusive events are just a few of the many benefits the card offers.

You could even be targeted for an elevated welcome bonus of 100,000 bonus points (after spending $5,000 in the first three months) through the CardMatch tool. That's 40,000 more points than the standard offer, but keep in mind that the CardMatch offer could change at any time without notice.

Breakdown - Value - Platinum - Card

Read on for a full breakdown of the value I've gotten from the Platinum Card, and how you can get the same.

Ever since I started learning about points, miles, and credit card benefits (or "travel hacking," as some call it), I had debated applying for a Platinum Card from American Express.

Card - Ton - Benefits - Traveler - No-brainer

The card came with a ton of useful benefits, and as fairly regular traveler, it seemed like a no-brainer for me.

I kept holding off, though — the $450 annual fee just seemed like too big of an upfront, even if I made that value back. Then, the fee was raised to $550, and I figured I really couldn't justify it.

Look - Math

Finally, I took a hard look at the math, and decided to go for it. I still wasn't crazy about paying $550 a...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Business Insider
Wake Up To Breaking News!