Danielle Macdonald on ‘Skin’ & Reuniting with Filmmaker Guy Nattiv for the Feature

Collider | 7/27/2019 | Christina Radish
Click For Photo: http://cdn.collider.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/skin-jamie-bell-danielle-macdonald.jpg

From Israeli-born filmmaker Guy Nattiv, Skin is inspired by the true story of an American neo-Nazi skinhead named Bryon Widner (played in the film by Jamie Bell, who delivers a shocking and sometimes frightening performance), who abandons his life of hatred and violence, after becoming disillusioned with the lifestyle and mentality that accompany it. After a difficult childhood led him to a white supremacist gang, Bryon found himself dependent on a family that justified and encouraged the evil behavior he’d been a part of, over the years, only to later lead him to question whether he’s worthy of repenting for the damage that he wants to put a stop to.

During this 1-on-1 phone interview with Collider, Australian actress Danielle Macdonald (who plays Julie, the young single mother who falls in love with Bryon) talked about working with Guy Nattiv on his short before it evolved into this full-length feature, figuring out how to understand her character, having previously been sheltered from these kinds of hate groups, bonding with the young actresses who played her daughters, working with co-star Jamie Bell, what it was like to see him with all of those tattoos, and what she has coming out next.

Collider - Director - Guy - Nattiv - Experience

Collider: You worked with director Guy Nattiv on the short that he did. How did you originally get involved with the short? What was your experience working with him then, and were you surprised that this happened?

DANIELLE MACDONALD: I actually met our director in a social setting, which is strange ‘cause I’ve never actually worked with someone that I met randomly, by chance. My best friend actually is friends with the director’s wife, Jaime [Ray Newman]. He would look after their dog when they would go out of town, so I met his dog before I met him. And then, I went...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Collider
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Been there, done that, twice...