Puerto Rico's governor submits his letter of resignation but lawmakers doubt his sincerity

Mail Online | 8/2/2019 | Adry Torres For Dailymail.com
tictac399 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/07/25/21/16507436-0-image-a-2_1564085463499.jpg

Facing mounting threats of being dragged through an impeachment proceeding, Puerto Rico Governor Ricardo Rosselló finally turned in his letter of resignation Thursday.

But some lawmakers doubt his sincerity.

Carlos - Johnny - Méndez - Leader - House

Carlos Johnny Méndez, the leader of the House of Representatives, grew increasingly angry earlier in the morning during what appeared to be a cat-and-mouse game between the embattled governor and the United States territory island's politicians as to when he would hand over his signed resignation document.

'I want to see the communication that the governor has to send notifying his resignation and that it's irrevocable,' Méndez told Puerto Rico radio station, Radio Isla.

Mistrust

'There's mistrust.'

Méndez also seemed frustrated Wednesday when Rosselló kept lawmakers on the Caribbean island on their heels over his impending announcement, which he made through a Facebook broadcast near midnight.

Noon - Thursday - MIT - Graduate - Doctorate

But by noon Thursday, the MIT graduate with a doctorate in genetics handed over the signed document that sealed his last days as Puerto Rico's leader following 12 consecutive days of intense pressure from the island's three million residents who were infuriated over homophobic and misogynistic private text messages he and his inner circle swapped.

Méndez kept the House's promise that it would not proceed with the impeachment process aimed at forcefully removing Rosselló from office after a panel found that the governor committed five offenses - including one misdemeanor - stemming from the leaked chat.

Resignation - Letter - Rosselló - Father - Pedro

In his two-page resignation letter, Rosselló, whose father Pedro Rosselló twice served as governor of Puerto Rico, boasted about the 'first positive economic growth in over a decade' and the island's record low unemployment numbers.

He wrote: 'Despite having the mandate of the people who democratically elected me, today I recognize that continuing in this position represents a difficulty for the achieved success to last. After hearing the complaint, talking with my family, thinking about...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!