Why You Should Let Your Kids See You Do Something You Love

Parent Cue | 7/24/2019 | Leah Jennings
cindy95240 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i0.wp.com/theparentcue.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/1D6F534E-66DF-4D5C-BEEF-E7107C39DF23.jpeg?fit=1920,1080&ssl=1

I can count on one hand the amount of things I love more than I love Zumba. Zumba and me go way back: I started taking the fitness class at a point in my life when I was the most downtrodden I’d ever felt—I had been laid off from my first job after college and had been struggling for a year to find work. I didn’t have much, but I did still have my YMCA membership through my parents. I tentatively took first class and have been shaking to my heart’s ever since, even becoming an instructor back in 2012.

You know who also loves Zumba? My three-year-old daughter, Arden. She loves to help me choreograph dance moves for my upcoming classes and she loves the music. But you know what Arden hates? She hates when I have to leave her to go teach Zumba. She screams and cries so much, I’ve had to take her out of the YMCA’s childcare altogether and set up an arrangement with my husband to adjust his schedule so I can make class. You know what I’m not going to do? Stop teaching Zumba.

Kid - Arden - Happiness - Lot - Plenty

I love my kid. Really, I do. Arden’s happiness means a lot to me, and there are plenty of instances where I go above and beyond to make sure she’s the happiest kid around. But there are some things I can’t give up for the sake of her happiness, and those are the things that serve me well and make me an overall better human being.

So here are some reasons why you should toss aside your objections and continue to do the things you love, even when your kid doesn’t understand why:

Concept

You’re instilling the concept...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Parent Cue
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: