A New Bible Translation (by Lutherans)

Cranach | 7/23/2019 | Staff
Refel_4309 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://wp-media.patheos.com/blogs/sites/305/2019/07/EHVlogo.jpg

I received a review copy of a new Bible translation: the Evangelical Heritage Version. It is the work of a group of scholars, pastors, and laypeople associated with the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod (WELS) and the Evangelical Lutheran Synod (ELS) and is being published by Northwestern Publishing House.

The translators say that the EHV is not intended just as a “Lutheran Bible,” but that–like Luther’s pioneering translation which served as a model for the whole array of vernacular translations including the English versions of Tyndale and the King James Version–it is intended for all Christians.

Information - Website - Wartburg - Project - Organization

Let me tell you about it, based on information from the website of the Wartburg Project, the organization responsible for the translation, and my own survey of the Bible.

I like the translation principles followed in the project. Instead of imposing a single policy to govern every translation decision, the translation aims at balance and flexibility.

Translation - Philosophies - Readings - Approach - Phrases

The translation is eclectic when it comes to translation philosophies, sometimes using literal readings and sometimes using the dynamic equivalent approach (using phrases to fully capture certain meanings).

The EHV says that it uses gender-inclusive language when the original meaning is inclusive and exclusive when the original meaning refers to only one gender.

Church - Textus - Receptus - Manuscripts - EHV

Instead of exclusively using either the relatively late but well-attested by the church Textus Receptus or the earliest but little-used manuscripts, the EHV draws on them both, including the “longer” readings (such as the long ending of Mark, the Woman Taken in Adultery in John) of the later manuscript tradition), while also taking advantage of earlier manuscript readings.

Since the Bible includes both formal and informal styles, the EHV adjusts its style accordingly. When the Bible talks about sex and “bodily functions,” it sometimes uses euphemism and sometimes uses “coarse” expressions, so the EHV follows suit.

EHV - Words - Church

The EHV retains theological words of the church,...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Cranach
Wake Up To Breaking News!