‘Veronica Mars’ Boss on Season 4 Shocker: ‘It Felt Like Cutting Off a Limb’

Variety | 7/22/2019 | Danielle Turchiano
Nighty (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2019/07/vmars_104_md_1179r_f.jpg?w=700&h=393&crop=1

SPOILER ALERT: Do not read if you have not yet watched the fourth season of “Veronica Mars,” streaming now on Hulu.

“Veronica Mars” giveth, and “Veronica Mars” taketh away.

Season - Kristen - Bell-starrer - Character - Relationship

The fourth season of the Kristen Bell-starrer featured her titular character still in a relationship with her high school boyfriend Logan (Jason Dohring), committed enough that they were finally ready to get married. But moments after they said their vows, their romance came to a definitive end when he was blown up in a car bomb that had been meant for her.

“We want there to be more ‘Veronica Mars’ adventures,” series creator Rob Thomas tells Variety, “and you want your lead detective in your noir show to have opportunities for romance — you don’t want to play this soap opera of the boy back home. It felt like cutting off a limb to save the [rest].”

Thomas - Person - Veronica - Life - Decision

Thomas admits that killing off such an important person in Veronica’s life was not an easy decision, but ultimately he felt the “emotional wallup” the audience would feel — especially after the couple had celebrated such a joyous occasion — was necessary in raising the stakes of the show. “I’m not trying to be tricky, I’m just trying to make it land with as much weight. It should pain them,” he says.

Telling Dohring he would no longer be a part of the show, should it come back for future seasons, was also difficult for Thomas, who shares he will forever love Dohring “as a person, as an actor” and be grateful for “what he’s done for the show.” He compares the conversation with the actor about his death scene to a breakup: “It’s not you, it’s me,'” Thomas says. “Intellectually, Jason got it — he’s told me that several times — but it still stings.”

Series

When the series first...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Variety
Wake Up To Breaking News!
When will they ever learn?