Why Leader’s Time Management Skills Depend on Large Blocks of Time

ChurchLeaders | 7/22/2019 | Staff
applekip (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://churchleaders-eszuskq0bptlfh8awbb.stackpathdns.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/7.23.HOME_.CC.ChunksOfTime.jpg

Calendars fill up quickly. If leaders don’t manage their calendars then their calendars will manage them. In my view, one of the most important decisions leaders make in terms of time management skills is how to plan their work. Do they just react to what comes their way or do they proactively plan how they will lead and create? Meetings, emergencies, and time with people are a given. But what about preparing messages, planning ahead, and crafting direction? Some leaders have excellent time management skills because they set large blocks of time for that work while others attempt to “squeeze that work in” to their busy schedules.

I have learned that it is significantly more fruitful to intentionally place large chunks of time on the weekly calendar for preparation. In other words, the “blocks of time” have to be planned and protected. When it comes to management skills, I have learned that:

Block - Sermon - Prep - Blocks

One five-hour block of sermon prep is significantly more productive that five one-hour blocks.

One four-hour block of advanced planning is significantly more fruitful than eight 30-minute sessions in-between emails and meetings.

Reasons - Leaders - Time - Management - Skills

Here are 4 reasons leaders’ time management skills depend on large blocks of time (such as 3-5 hours of uninterrupted focus):

1. To maximize deep work.

Book - Deep - Work - Cal - Newport

In his book Deep Work, Cal Newport describes deep work as “a state of distraction-free concentration that pushes your cognitive capabilities to their limit. These efforts create new value, improve your skill, and are hard to replicate.” In other words, there is a place where you can go...
(Excerpt) Read more at: ChurchLeaders
Wake Up To Breaking News!