Bryan Ye-Chung and Brian Chung: The Bible Beautiful brings together creativity, beauty and faith

www.faithandleadership.com | 7/23/2019 | Staff
TaylorShaye (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://www.faithandleadership.com/sites/default/files/field/image/Founders-Image-m.jpg

When Brian Chung converted to Christianity, he was excited to read the Bible.

But the book he picked up was dark -- black and purple. The paper was thin and the text tiny.

Someone - Christian - Book - Experience

“For someone that didn’t grow up Christian, it was unlike any other book experience I’d had,” he said.

“For someone that had studied design in college, I thought to myself, ‘How could this be done differently?’”

Curiosity - Chung - Bryan - Ye-Chung - Friend

That curiosity led Chung and Bryan Ye-Chung, his friend and fellow University of Southern California graduate, to create the Bible Beautiful.

They started with the four Gospels. The volumes are aesthetically stunning, have plenty of white space, millennial-friendly photographs and photo illustrations, and are printed on thick, high-quality paper.

Bible - Beautiful - Repackaging - Design - Texts

But the Bible Beautiful is more than just a repackaging, they say. This new, modern design of the ancient texts addresses a spiritual question: How can art and beauty connect to faith?

In 2016, the pair launched a Kickstarter campaign that raised nearly $63,000. Two years later, they turned their passion into a business, Alabaster Co. In 2019, Alabaster launched its seventh book, the Book of Proverbs.Ye-Chung is the company's creative director and Chung its business director.

Faith - Leadership - Communications - Cameron - Rogers

Faith & Leadership communications intern Cameron Rogers talked with the co-founders of Alabaster about the Bible Beautiful and their hopes for reaching a new audience. The following is an edited transcript.

Romans, Psalms and John from the Bible Beautiful project. Photos courtesy of Alabaster Co.

Faith - Leadership - How - Faith - Creation

Faith & Leadership: How has your faith influenced the creation of Alabaster Co. and the Bible Beautiful project?

Bryan Ye-Chung: Brian and I met in college. I was a student studying art and film; I was part of a Christian group on campus.

Studies - Art - Studio - Parts - Life

I would lead Bible studies and then I’d go to the art studio, yet those two parts of my life never really intersected. Toward the end of my senior...
(Excerpt) Read more at: www.faithandleadership.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!