Richard Beck on Disenchantment and Death

internetmonk.com | 7/20/2019 | Chaplain Mike
monna (Posted by) Level 3
We haven’t quite been able to keep up with each of Richard Beck’s posts in his series on being a “post-progressive,” but today I’d like to make just a few more comments about some of what he says. I know a number of you have been reading Beck regularly and pondering his critique of his progressive Christian friends. I think it’s important stuff, not least because it reminds me that life moves on.

The evangelical Christianity of the mid-20th century morphed into evangelicalism, which produced a flow of people moving into post-evangelicalism, some of whom embraced “emergent” Christianity and more “progressive” forms of faith. In recent years progressive voices have come to the fore primarily because of the increasingly partisan political divides in the U.S. As evangelicalism became more thoroughly connected to the religious and political right, so progressives reacted against that and became more vocal, supporting ideas and positions identified with the religious and political left.

People - Richard - Beck - Christian - Direction

But now some people, specifically Richard Beck (a self-identified “progressive” Christian), have begun to question the direction this movement is taking and to suggest that it might be time for a “post-progressive” perspective, offering course corrections and, indeed, some fundamental reworking of so-called progressive Christianity.

Here are the links to Richard Beck’s recent posts on this subject:

Reflections - Beck - Critiques - Enchantment - Hospice

I would like to conclude my reflections on Beck’s critiques by considering what he says about “enchantment” and “hope.” As one who works as a hospice chaplain, these two areas were of great interest to me because they speak to the heart of what I encounter every day.

By and large, progressive Christianity is characterized by disenchantment, a skeptical stance toward robustly metaphysical and supernatural expressions, experiences, events, and beliefs within Christianity.

Christians - Struggle - Doubts - Existence - God

I’ve described already how many progressive Christians struggle with doubts concerning the existence of God. But it’s not just God,...
(Excerpt) Read more at: internetmonk.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!