Puerto Rico's embattled governor will not seek re-election

Mail Online | 7/21/2019 | Reuters
shankay (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/07/21/23/16322334-0-image-a-6_1563749298481.jpg

Puerto Rico's embattled governor says he will not resign in the face of public outrage over an obscenity-laced leaked online chat that sparked violent protests but he will not seek re-election and will step down as head of his party.

A day before a planned general strike and more demonstrations in the U.S. island territory, Ricardo Rossello said he respected the wishes of Puerto Ricans and would not run for another term in 2020 elections.

Head - New - Progressive - Party - Governor

He also said he would resign as head of his New Progressive Party but would remain as governor until the end of his term.

'I know that apologizing is not enough. It is only my work that will help restore the confidence of those sectors on the way to true reconciliation,' Rossello said in a Facebook Live video.

Protesters - Rosselló - Concessions - Demonstrations - Streets

Protesters said they were not satisfied by Rosselló's concessions, and pledged to continue demonstrations that have filled the streets of Old San Juan for more than a week.

Hundreds of viewers also posted angry messages on his brief video message.

Outrage - Protests - Vulgar - Messages - Allies

He has been facing public outrage - and sometimes violent protests - over leaked vulgar messages between himself and allies.

In the...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Sorry Mr. Franklin, we couldn't keep it.