Revenge May Have Been Motive for Kyoto Animation Arson Attack

Variety | 7/18/2019 | Patrick Frater
Click For Photo: https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2019/07/shutterstock_editorial_10340943g.jpg?w=700&h=393&crop=1

Revenge for allegedly stolen ideas is emerging as a possible motive for the devastating arson attack on Kyoto Animation in Japan, which killed 33 people.

Investigative sources quoted by Japan’s Jiji Press said Friday that the suspected arsonist, who is in custody but has not been named, held a grudge against the studio. “Since [the studio] stole my novel, I poured out the liquid and set it ablaze,” the man is reported to have said.

Public - Broadcaster - NHK - Sources - Man

Public broadcaster NHK, also citing unnamed sources, described the man, 41, as having had mental health issues and a recent criminal record, including a convenience-store robbery in 2012, for which he received a three-and-a-half-year prison sentence.

Police have not yet formally begun questioning the suspect, who was arrested barely 100 yards from the studio and who was burned in the fire. The injuries to his limbs and chest are too severe, reports said. Police plan to question him once he sufficiently recovers.

Sources - Man - Kyoto - Animation

While he has not been named, multiple local sources said the man never worked for Kyoto Animation.

Some newspapers, including the Kyoto Shimbun and the Asahi Shimbun, said that witnesses to the man’s arrest heard him say: “They stole my ideas” and “They copied my novel.” Other unconfirmed reports say that, in custody, he complained: “They ripped me off.”

Founding - Kyoto - Animation - Novels - Series

Since its founding in 1981, Kyoto Animation has regularly adapted novels into anime series. In 2006, the studio produced the 14-episode series “The Melancholy of Haruhi...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Variety
Wake Up To Breaking News!