His Dark Materials Comic-Con Trailer Offers a Creepy Look at Lyra and Mrs. Coulter

TVGuide.com | 7/18/2019 | Lindsay MacDonald
Click For Photo: https://cimg.tvgcdn.net/i/r/2019/07/19/31c2518c-a4b9-4f92-867b-2520f9f6abb9/thumbnail/1300x867/8948b0d269ac3182adea750defc5c8e8/190718-ruth-wilson-his-dark-materials.jpg

The first full-length trailer for HBO's TV adaptation of Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials gave us a more detailed look at its fantastical world. But perhaps most importantly, it gave us a little peek into the relationship between Lyra (Dafne Keen) and the story's major antagonist, Mrs. Coulter (Ruth Wilson).

In the trailer, it's apparent that the Magisterium, the religious authority that has a chokehold on everyone and everything in this world, looms large over Lyra and her uncle, Lord Asriel (James McAvoy). For the most part though, Lyra's main point of contact for that authoritarian regime is the nefarious Mrs. Coulter.

Power - Mrs - Coulter - Lyra - Plays

"I can teach you to wield power, but you must let me mold you," Mrs. Coulter ominously tells Lyra as she all but plays dress up with her. Though these snippets are only a sample of what's to come, they're enough to whet anyone appetite for the dynamic between these two female characters.

HBO debuted the trailer during the show's panel at San Diego Comic-Con, where executive...
(Excerpt) Read more at: TVGuide.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!