Lin-Manuel Miranda, Ruth Wilson Debut ‘His Dark Materials’ Trailer at Comic-Con (Watch)

Variety | 7/18/2019 | Will Thorne
Click For Photo: https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2019/07/lin-manuel-miranda-his-dark-materials.jpeg?w=700&h=393&crop=1

“His Dark Materials,” the fantasy trilogy by Philip Pullman that has captivated readers since its publication in the late 90s, has proven difficult to adapt in the past. If the forthcoming HBO and BBC series doesn’t hit the mark, viewers and critics will once again be sharpening their subtle knives.

The show took over Hall H at Comic-Con on Thursday afternoon, with stars James McAvoy (Lord Asriel), Lin-Manuel Miranda (Lee Scoresby), Ruth Wilson (Mrs. Coulter) and Dafne Keen (Lyra Belacqua) all present to show off a new trailer.

Trailer - War - Organization - Magisterium - Lord

The trailer teased the war with the evil organization known the magisterium, with Lord Asriel on one side and Mrs. Coulter on the other. Also mentioned was the child abduction plot at the center of the show.

“Sometimes children can just disappear,” Mrs. Coulter says clicking her fingers ominously.

Preview - Miranda - Character - Sentence

The preview neatly summarizes Miranda’s mercurial character in one sentence: “I can fight and I can fly.”

Watch the Comic-Con 2019 Panel for 'Terminator: Dark Fate'

Trailer

Watch the new trailer below:

During the panel, the ensemble cast discussed what drew them to the project, with Miranda revealing a personal connection to the source material.

Wife - Books - Aww - Crowd - Place

“When my wife and I started dating, we read these books together,” he said, drawing loud aww’s from the crowd. “They’re in a really special place in my heart.”

Miranda was approached by the executive producers while shooting “Mary Poppins Returns” in London, and said yes to coming on board as soon as they told him what the project was, before even hearing what part he was being offered.

Days - Sequence - Pulleys - Ballasts - Air

“My first two days of filming were a very long, complicated sequence where I’m pulling all the pulleys and ballasts in my hot air ballon, and the next one was a three day bar fight, it was Perry different from ‘Mary Poppins,’” Miranda added to laughter from the room.

In a...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Variety
Wake Up To Breaking News!
It's a fight to the death, which you will eventually lose...