Evangelical author of abstinence book announces he has split from his wife

Mail Online | 7/18/2019 | Erica Tempesta For Dailymail.com
kimberly163 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/07/18/22/16226014-0-image-a-2_1563484388113.jpg

An Evangelical Christian author who helped fuel the purity culture movement with his controversial manifesto about extreme abstinence has revealed that he and his wife of more than 20 years are separating.

Joshua Harris, 44, is best known for writing 'I Kissed Dating Goodbye,' a 1997 book in which he argues Christians should practice 'courting' instead of traditional dating because the latter leads to divorce.

Pastor - Views - Decades - Instagram - Wednesday

The pastor, who has changed his views on dating over the past two decades, took to Instagram on Wednesday to share that he and his wife Shannon Bonne have split.

'We’re writing to share the news that we are separating and will continue our life together as friends,' they wrote in their joint statement.

Years - Changes - Place - Love - Understanding

'In recent years, some significant changes have taken place in both of us. It is with sincere love for one another and understanding of our unique story as a couple that we are moving forward with this decision.

'We hope to create a generous and supportive future for each other and for our three amazing children in the years ahead. Thank you for your understanding and for respecting our privacy during a difficult time.'

Author - Wife - Plans - Christians - Divorce

The author and his wife did not reveal whether they have plans to officially divorce; however, Evangelical Christians traditionally consider divorce to be a sin, an interpretation based on certain passages in the Bible that seem to prohibit the legal split of a man and wife who have been joined in a lifelong union in the eyes of God.

While speaking to NPR in December, Joshua said re-evaluating his best-selling book led him to reflect on the pressure its ideas put on his own marriage.

Heartache - Pain - Matter - Life

'I think it's made us realize how there's heartache and there's pain no matter what pathway you choose in life,' he said. 'There's no...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!