Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 review: Super Smash Avengers Bros.

CNET | 7/18/2019 | Scott Stein
monna (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cnet1.cbsistatic.com/img/a7xDS89zn-vt66tZIC2t36NOcic=/756x567/2019/07/18/c0f52c4b-db80-4797-8ee9-6fdc6c97a1fa/switch-marvelultimatealliance3-1.jpg

The Wasp, one of many, many characters in Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3.

I never followed Marvel universe until the cinematic cycle sucked me in. Ten years ago, before most of these Marvel films existed, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 was basically a multicharacter, co-op Marvel brawl-adventure. Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, coming after Avengers: Endgame, now feels like a spinoff movie in video game form.

Weird - Story - Sort

And yet, what's weird is this is a completely different story. Sort of.

Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Gate doesn't have the same story as the Marvel movies, but its alternative/parallel plot ends up sucking in a crazy number of characters. I've been playing a bunch of hours on my own and with my kid, and we've already unlocked The Wasp, Daredevil, Venom, Spider-Man, Ms. Marvel, Iron Man, Miles Morales, Spider-Gwen, Thor, Wolverine, Luke Cage, Star-Lord, Groot, Gamora and more. Any plot developments in the Avengers movies (no spoilers!) don't carry over here. But Thanos and a hunt for the Infinity Stones is still the main story thread (as if I really needed a story thread).

Game - Game - Sort - Diablo - Time

The four-player game is a semi-overhead-style game, sort of like Diablo 3. At any time, you can swap among the four characters playing. Once new characters are added, they can be swapped in for different team combinations. The last I checked, I was playing with Venom, Ms. Marvel, The Wasp and Daredevil.

Venom's in my main 4.

Characters - Switch - Screen - TV - Docking

Characters can end up being tiny on a small Switch screen; TV docking is a good option. Tons of characters attack in waves, you fight them, and then there's another place where more bad guys attack. It's pretty linear and arcadelike in that regard, but every character can level up and add enhanced powers like an RPG.

Along the way, there are cartoonish cut-scenes and plenty of voice acting, which...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CNET
Wake Up To Breaking News!