Cindy Silver: The Dancer, Teacher, Mother, Reluctantly Abides In Cutting My Mother

Filmmaker Magazine | 7/18/2019 | Aaron Hunt
Click For Photo: https://filmmakermagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/Cutting-My-Mother-628x348.jpg

by Aaron Hunt

As a child, Nathan drew depictions of his mother with scars and his father, Marty, shot portraits of her on black and white film. She’d become the bemused muse of her husband and youngest son without expressly asking for it. This spotlight was something she grew up beside with mixed feelings towards. Pursuing an early career in dance, Cindy’s teachers ridiculed her “unrefined” voice and assured her place on the sidelines. Before she got to prove them wrong, she had her first child. She was 16. Her life path had changed.

Cindy - Collaborations - Son - Bleaker - Turn

Cindy’s close collaborations with her son took a bleaker turn on Actor Martinez, a freak docu-narrative aberration co-directed by Mike Ott (Littlerock, California Dreams) and Nathan Silver in Denver, Colorado. This was my first feature film as an AC, and the grizzly key grip on set, Jonathan Fulton, would kick the ground and tell me, “Don’t get used to this” every day at every hour of the shoot. Everyone on the crew was kept in the dark. No one could tell fabricated scenes from candid, or whether they were some mind numbing in-between. There were many fights on set, real and fake, so when I witnessed the tension unfold between Cindy and Nathan, which didn’t make the final cut of the film, I processed it passively and with the same brain-whisked, meta-confusion.

In Cutting My Mother, Actor Martinez is depicted as a collaboration that Cindy felt betrayed by. It’s the one she’ll never forgive her son for. She tells him that plainly in the series. But, knowing Nathan, I smelled an emotional arc being contrived. I had to ask Cindy her take and I wanted to learn more about her story. In Cutting My Mother, she swung the spotlight away from herself. She pushed attention to the people...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Filmmaker Magazine
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Woof!
Tagged: