Another Person Goes Blind After Wearing Contacts in the Shower

Live Science | 7/18/2019 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://img.purch.com/h/1000/aHR0cDovL3d3dy5saXZlc2NpZW5jZS5jb20vaW1hZ2VzL2kvMDAwLzEwNi81MjEvb3JpZ2luYWwvZXllLWluZmVjdGlvbi1uZWptLkpQRw==?&imgtype=.jpg

A woman's habit of keeping her contact lenses in while swimming and showering had serious consequences: She developed a rare eye infection that left her legally blind in one eye, according to a new report of the case.

The 41-year-old woman, who lives in the United Kingdom, went to the eye doctor after experiencing blurry vision, eye pain and sensitivity to light in her left eye for two months, according to the report, which was published today (July 17) in The New England Journal of Medicine.

Eye - Test - Vision - Eye - Threshold

An eye test showed that her vision was 20/200 in her left eye, the threshold for being "legally blind" in the United States. Her right eye was not affected.

Doctors could see a cloudiness or haze in the women's cornea, the eye's transparent outer covering. They performed another eye test that uses a special dye to detect damage to this covering. During this test, any damage to the cornea will appear green when doctors shine a blue light on the eye, according to the National Institutes of Health.

Doctors - Defect - Woman - Cornea - Test

The doctors saw that, indeed, a defect in the woman's cornea appeared green during the test.

Samples from her eye tested positive for Acanthamoeba keratitis, a rare parasitic infection of the cornea. The infection is known to damage a person's vision and is tied to the use...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Live Science
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Sign In or Register to comment.

Welcome to Long Room!

Where The World Finds Its News!