The first meal on the moon

www.christianpost.com | 7/18/2019 | Staff
MysticHeart (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cdn.christianpost.com/files/original/thumbnail/23/21/232107.jpg

Facebook Twitter Email Menu Comment

This month marks the 50th anniversary of the landing on the moon, a major milestone in human history. As Neil Armstrong noted, as he stepped on the lunar surface, "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin planted the American flag on the moon, as they explored it for some 21 hours.

Meal - Moon - Wine - Celebration - Lord

What was the first meal on the moon? It may surprise you to know that it was bread and wine in a one-person celebration of the Lord’s Table. As Neil Armstrong respectfully looked on, fellow Apollo 11 astronaut, Buzz Aldrin marked the incredible occasion by celebrating Holy Communion---communing between him and God. This was before they stepped out of the “Eagle,” the lunar module, to walk around on the moon.

In the October 1970 issue of Guideposts magazine, Aldrin tells of the experience: “For several weeks prior to the scheduled lift-off of Apollo 11 back in July, 1969, the pastor of our church, Dean Woodruff, and I had been struggling to find the right symbol for the first lunar landing.”

Buzz - Aldrin - Elder - Webster - Presbyterian

Buzz Aldrin was an elder at Webster Presbyterian Church in the greater Houston area. Pastor Woodruff told him that, “God reveals Himself in the common elements of everyday life.” That would include bread and wine, the elements of the Lord’s Table, a celebration of Christ’s death on behalf of sinners.

The idea of communion on the moon was Aldrin’s. He writes: “I wondered if it might be possible to take communion on the moon, symbolizing the thought that God was revealing Himself there too, as man reached out into the universe. For there are many of us in the NASA program who do trust that what we are doing is part of God’s eternal plan for man. I spoke with...
(Excerpt) Read more at: www.christianpost.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: