Hong Kong’s Protesters Dig In For Long Summer Of Discontent

www.oann.com | 7/14/2019 | Staff
adele2234 (Posted by) Level 3
HONG KONG (Reuters) – Hong Kong’s extradition bill demonstrations have mutated into a much bigger and more complex animal, ripping open old wounds and expanding a political fight as the city battens down for a summer of protests.

The demonstrations pop up almost daily, often with little notice, as activists spread word of their cause with handwritten notes on so-called Lennon Walls across the territory and through Telegram and other messaging apps.

Response - Extradition - Bill - Demands - Democracy

What started as an angry response to a now-suspended extradition bill now includes demands for greater democracy, the resignation of Hong Kong’s chief executive, Carrie Lam, and even keeping mainland tourists out of Hong Kong.

“I’m afraid there will be more confrontation further down the road,” said Labour Party lawmaker Fernando Cheung, who has tried to mediate between activists and police.

Protests - Protests - Summer

“The protests will continue,” he added. “I would expect sizeable protests on and off continuously throughout the summer.”

On Wednesday, organizers of a “silver-haired” march said 9,000 mostly elderly people, some in wheelchairs, took to the streets in support of younger protesters. Police put the number at 1,500 at its peak.

Turmoil - Missteps - Government - Margaret - Yu

“The whole turmoil is caused by the missteps of government,” said Margaret Yu, 59, a retired accountant. “As an elderly person, at least, I have to stand out and voice out how unjust our government is.”

Wednesday’s rally was the latest in a series that have rocked the Asian financial center for more than two months, plunging the city into turmoil and posing the greatest popular challenge to Chinese leader Xi Jinping since he came to power in 2012.

Lam - Extradition - Bill - People - China

Lam has said the extradition bill, which would allow people to be sent to mainland China for trial, is “dead.” But opponents say nothing short of officially withdrawing it will do.

They fear the bill would leave Hong Kong people at the mercy of Chinese courts,...
(Excerpt) Read more at: www.oann.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!