Navigating Close Relationships in Recovery

Pastors.com | 7/17/2019 | Website
abbycraig (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://pastors.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/Navigating-Close-Relationships-in-Recovery-3.jpeg

I am a believer in Jesus Christ who struggles with being honest in my close relationships. My name is Richard.

Have you ever wondered why relationships do not seem to have any depth? Before working my recovery, most of my relationships with my closest family members were just below the surface. All other relationships were definitely superficial.

Journey - Celebrate - Recovery® - Things - Secrets

Once I started my journey in Celebrate Recovery®, things began to change. I’d kept so many secrets to myself. This prevented me from going deeper because of my fear of being hurt—and the fear that people would discover those secrets were always on my mind. The last thing I wanted to tell my wife was about my struggle with lust, which was impacted by inappropriate behaviors in my past.

Because I had buried these things, I discovered I was holding my heart hostage from my wife and everyone else in my life. As I began to open up about these secrets—first with my sponsor, then with my CR group of men—I felt the warmth and love of God sweep over me. It was hard, while at the same time it was so good to get this burden off my heart.

Youth - Curiosity - Overconfidence - Mind - Struggles

As a youth, my sexual curiosity and overconfidence dominated my mind and were my greatest struggles. All of my close relationships took a significant shift when I was 12 years old. My best friend and I had an inappropriate same-sex experience. The shame from that moment overwhelmed me. I never told anyone about what happened. Instead, I placed the blame on others and developed hatred, mostly toward myself. I began sabotaging all my relationships. It seemed easier than having people find out what I had done. I camouflaged my feelings of self-hate and worked tirelessly to fit in as a teenager, while drugs and alcohol became my...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Pastors.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Have you forgotten?