The Legacy of the Moon Landing

The Daily Signal | 7/17/2019 | Staff
pixielilia (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://www.dailysignal.com/wp-content/uploads/190717_moon.jpg

Cal Thomas is a syndicated columnist, author, broadcaster, and speaker with access to world leaders, U.S. presidents, celebrities, educators, and countless other notables. He has authored 12 books, including his latest, “What Works: Common Sense Solutions for a Stronger America.” Readers can email him at tcaeditors@tribpub.com.

As a young reporter for a local TV station in Houston, I frequently visited NASA (“the space base,” we dubbed it), met many of the astronauts, and reported on their exploits.

People - World - Lunar - Television - July

Along with people from around the world, I watched the lunar landing on television, July 20, 1969, fulfilling President John F. Kennedy’s goal of putting a man on the moon by the end of that decade.

A new, three-part PBS documentary, “Chasing the Moon,” recalls the American space program, which followed the Russian launch of the first satellite in 1957.

Film - Robert - Stone - Reminder - Generations

It is a brilliant film, created and directed by Robert Stone, and a useful reminder for the two generations born since then of what a united America can achieve.

CBS News anchor Walter Cronkite made that point when he said, “It shows what the richest nation in history can do when it puts its mind to it.”

Broadcast - Series - Pbsorg

If you missed the broadcast, you can find the series at pbs.org.

About Apollo 11, a reporter says, “It is like seeing Columbus sail out of port.”

Jack - Lousma - Astronauts - Friend - Lousma

Jack Lousma, one of the astronauts who followed the original seven, later became a close friend. Lousma was the CAPCOM recipient of the “Houston, we’ve had a problem here” message from Apollo 13 and the pilot for Skylab 3 in 1973. He also commanded the third space shuttle mission in 1982.

I asked for his remembrances of that time and about the legacy of America’s most famous spaceflight.

Apollo - World - Time - Photographs - People

“Unpredictably, Apollo unified the world for a short time. I recall photographs of people in many nations watching...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Daily Signal
Wake Up To Breaking News!
NY Times, a small niche paper for a small niche people in a really big internet
Tagged: