2 Things We Can’t Overlook About Spider-Man: Far From Home

YouthMinistry.com | 7/17/2019 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://2e2kda1m9pm41j3ob93smm8e-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/upload/ymprod/new-spidey-e1563376957945.jpg

Spider-Man is legit. Teenagers love him. Parents giggle at him. Youth workers recognize him.

He’s a bumbling, awkward 16-year old named Peter Parker trying to have an ordinary life though he’s been given extraordinary gifts and responsibilities. Kind of like the tension our teenagers often feel.

Peter - Parker - Spider-Man - Homecoming - Things

As Peter Parker puts it in Spider-Man: Homecoming: “When you can do the things that I can, but you don’t, and then the bad things happen, they happen because of you.”

In the next iteration of the Spider-Man story—Far From Home—the story amplifies Parker’s tension of guilt as he and his classmates try to re-enter normalcy after the events of Avengers: Endgame. As world-shaking threats emerge and a new hero appears, our favorite science-nerd-turned-web-slinger must decide if he should take a much-needed break from being a hero to fully enjoy a class trip to Europe or step up and face down new threats in a world that’s been changed forever.

Film - Theater - Night - Rows - Students

I watched this film in a full theater opening night, surrounded by three rows of students and leaders from our ministry. We cheered as a multi-generational crowd rooted for Parker to not only defeat the villains but find the courage to actually speak to his secret crush. I grew up a comic book fan, and the enduring popularity of Spider-Man has transcended every decade since his introduction in 1962.

Did you catch that? Spider-man is technically almost 60 years old.

Burden - Teenagers - Side - Thanos - Snap

The unfair burden we put on teenagers: On the other side of Thanos’ snap, Peter Parker and his friends have to navigate the consequences this “epic blip.” Nick Fury demands that Spider-Man step up and try to fill the shoes left behind by Iron Man as if Tony Stark was the model for what heroes are all supposed to be like. Only Tony Stark wasn’t. As another character points out,...
(Excerpt) Read more at: YouthMinistry.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!
The beatings will continue until moral improves.
Tagged: