Puerto Rico's governor vows to stay in power after protesters were hit with tear gas, rubber bullets

Mail Online | 7/16/2019 | Adry Torres For Dailymail.com
chrismpotts (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/07/16/21/16131412-0-image-a-13_1563308015302.jpg

Click For Video: https://videos.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2019/07/16/4944755913215357213/1024x576_MP4_4944755913215357213.mp4

Shocking videos showed how peaceful demonstrators were being sprayed with tear gas and shot with rubber bullets a day before Puerto Rico Governor Ricardo Rosselló vowed to remain in power a day following massive protests in San Juan.

Footage taken by protesters highlighted the moment fellow demonstrators knelt on a cobblestone street in the historic Old San Juan neighborhood and got dosed with tear gas from close distance.

Cellphone - Video - Group - Protesters - Executive

A separate cellphone video showed a calm group of protesters at the executive mansion shouting from afar for him to resign.

A woman appeared in another smartphone video standing in front of police in riot gear and pleading with fellow demonstrators not to throw objects at the law enforcement agents before she was hit in the back with several rubber bullets.

Rosselló - Reporters - Tuesday - Damage - Leak

Rosselló stressed to reporters Tuesday he would not step down after reflecting on the damage caused by the leak of a group chat containing containing sexist and homophobic messages between the governor and his staffers.

'I will continue in my work. My responsibility - I feel it is a great responsibility with the people of Puerto Rico, who gave me the opportunity to serve as governor - is to continue working and provide these results,' he said.

Challenges - Challenge - Objective - Direction

'One will always face different challenges. That is a great challenge, but we have to fulfill the objective and continue in that same direction.'

Rosselló he didn't do anything that could be considered illegal or unethical in the chat, but rather "improper" acts.

Protests - Sunday - Puerto - Rico - Days

Protests erupted Sunday in Puerto Rico, just days after two members of the governor's administration where arrested by the FBI amidst a corruption probe that charged six people with conspiracy and other crimes in connection with millions of dollars in federal Medicaid and education funds.

The text messages from a group chat formed on...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Sometimes I Wake Up Grumpy. Other Times I Let Her Sleep