Father of seven loses his life as he drowns trying to save two of his children swept away by wave

Mail Online | 7/16/2019 | Dailymail.com Reporter
Alenaaa (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/07/17/03/16144160-0-image-a-61_1563329926053.jpg

A dad of seven from North Carolina ended up losing his life as he tried to rescue two of his children who had got into difficulties after were pulled off a jetty at a state beach.

Two of Johnny Lee Vann Jr.'s kids had been walking on a jetty wall on Sunday afternoon when they were suddenly swept away by the wave at Wrightsville Beach near Wilmington.

Vann - Children - Water - Capt - Jason

At first, Vann, 35, was able to rescue one of his children but then found himself unable to stay above the water after he went back in for the second, Capt. Jason Bishop of the Wrightsville Beach Police Department told ABC News.

Vann was underwater for around 30 seconds before he and the other child were rescued.

Child - CPR - Vann

The child was safe and CPR was performed immediately but Vann was unable to be resuscitated.

'We came from church and we went to the beach to have fun. We wound up having a tragedy. You couldn't ask for a better person,' Johnny's wife Dawn Vann told WWAY.

'You - Anybody

'You could have took anybody else,' she said. 'I would've preferred to take me than him.'

'He never hesitated,' she said, speaking of her husband's heroics. 'He threw everything down – phone keys and ran out there.'

Others - Beach - Trouble - Johnny - Concern

Others at the beach ran toward him when they saw he was in trouble, but Johnny's only concern was for his children.

'They could've easily saved him. He said,...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!