McConnell: ‘Everybody Ought to Tone Down Their Rhetoric’

CNS News | 7/16/2019 | Staff
liizu (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cdn.cnsnews.com/gettyimages-1155983199.jpg

(CNSNews.com) - Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) warned Tuesday that the political rhetoric in Washington has become “way, way overheated all across the political spectrum.”

“I think there’s been a consensus that political rhetoric has really gotten way, way overheated all across the political spectrum. We’ve heard facilities on the U.S. border called concentration camps. We’ve seen the far left throw accusations of racism at everyone, anyone who disagrees with them on anything, including the speaker of the House,” he said, referring to Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.).

Woman - Tropes - Support - Israel - Campaign

“We’ve seen a freshman Democratic woman use anti-Semitic tropes to imply only support Israel because of campaign contributions,” McConnell said, referring to Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.) “The most vile accusations and insults against our nation have become incredibly routine, and we’ve seen back and forth over the past few days.

“Most of you know Justice Scalia was my all-time favorite. Now here’s what he used to say. He said, ‘I don’t attack people. I attack ideas,’ and I think that’s a good lesson for all of us. From the president to the speaker to the freshman members of the House, all of us have a responsibility to elevate the public discourse,” he said.

Words - Politics - Contact - Sport - Time

“Our words do matter. We all know politics is a contact sport, but it’s about time we lowered the temperature all across the board. All of us ought to contribute to a better level of discourse,” the majority leader said.

McConnell spoke at a Capitol Hill press conference the same day that the House approved a resolution condemning President Donald Trump’s tweets about four progressive female House members as racist.

Resolution - Party - Lines

The resolution passed along mostly party lines, with...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CNS News
Wake Up To Breaking News!