Christina Applegate Had 'Zero Expectations' About Surprise Dead to Me Emmy Nomination

TVGuide.com | 7/16/2019 | Christopher Rosen
Click For Photo: https://cimg.tvgcdn.net/i/r/2019/05/07/67b11229-9299-4159-ae11-e64c59d1ad3b/thumbnail/1300x867/2de0b972e44a0f2b7b2dbec4030e60aa/190507-deadtome.jpg

Christina Applegate was just as surprised as many Emmy watchers by her deserved nomination on Tuesday in the lead comedy actress category for Netflix's Dead to Me.

"Zero expectations," Applegate told TV Guide when asked about her mindset going into Tuesday morning. "We came out late and there are so many ladies kicking so much **** that it seemed so off the radar to me."

Applegate - Attention - Nominations - Name - Jessica

Applegate said she wasn't even paying attention to the nominations when her name was announced. It wasn't until Jessica Elbaum, whose production company Gloria Sanchez produces Dead to Me, called Applegate's cell phone that the news made it to the star. "I was literally laying in bed with my daughter," Applegate said, adding that while her daughter, who is 8, screamed upon hearing the news, the meaning of it was not super sticky. "Then she went back to what she's doing."

On Dead to Me, Applegate stars as Jen, a grieving widow who unwittingly befriends Judy (Linda Cardellini), the woman responsible for Jen's husband's death. The 10-episode first season tracks their complicated relationship while packing in more twists and surprises than most shows dare dream. Dead to Me marked a return to episodic television for Applegate, who last scored an Emmy nomination in 2009 for Samantha Who?and starred with Will Arnett on the short-lived but funny NBC comedy Up All Night. For the veteran actress, however, Dead to Me stood out because of its personal nature and largely female writing and directing team, including creator Liz Feldman.

Bit - Phenomenon - Show - Success - Women

"It became a bit of phenomenon," she said of the show's success. "Seeing women be as...
(Excerpt) Read more at: TVGuide.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!
True or False Prophet, check for God keeping seal of approval.