In Wrath Remember Mercy: Not Self-Esteem, Know Self (Habakkuk)

Eidos | 7/16/2019 | Staff
hakimi308hakimi308 (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://wp-media.patheos.com/blogs/sites/169/2019/07/A1614446-9B30-4B1B-9BF7-77BE02969E1B.jpeg

Click For Photo: https://wp-media.patheos.com/blogs/sites/169/2019/07/A1614446-9B30-4B1B-9BF7-77BE02969E1B-768x404.jpeg

LORD, I have heard the report of you, and your work, O LORD, do I fear. In the midst of the years revive it; in the midst of the years make it known; in wrath remember mercy.

God is a just God and that should make any of us fearful. God is a merciful God and that gives hope.

People - Christianity - View - Self - Toxic

Sometimes people blame Christianity for bad view of self and toxic, power-tripping forms of the Faith do exist.The central problem for our self-esteem and Christianity is not the result of misuse of the faith, nor is it even unique to Christianity, it is self-knowledge. Philosophy agrees: the unexamined life is not worth living.

Examining our life helps us see good in us, but also the not-so-good.

Socrates - Life - Blow - Philosophy - Question

Socrates told us to live the examined life and if we examine ourselves, every human finds that his “is” is not what it “ought to be.” We fall short. This is a blow to self-esteem and so philosophy often has been attacked as making us unhappy. This led to the old question of whether it wasn’t, in the end, better to be a content pig than a discontented Socrates.

Whatever the good of the pig life, we do not have that option. We are human and so we must think and if we think, we should think truthfully, rigorously, about everything. That everything will include self, because self is the one topic we cannot (sadly!) escape.

Ever.

Thinking hard is hard on our pride. We think: “I am not so bad. I am no Stalin and certainly no Hitler.” This is not only true, but a very good thing indeed. Our good traits are also real: we are created in the very image of God. Nobody is so bad that there is nothing good to say of them, though in the case...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Eidos
Wake Up To Breaking News!
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.