3 Ways Church Planting Will Test Your Patience

The Gospel Coalition | 7/16/2019 | Jim Essian
lhumara (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://media.thegospelcoalition.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/03120228/3-ways-patience.jpg

I once heard someone say discouragement is the “occupational hazard” of ministry. They’re right. Especially on a Monday.

In a park aptly named “Trinity,” I had my head down—literally and figuratively—as I journaled my discouragements and prayers, crying out in Davidic fashion: How long, O Lord?

Years - Church - Downtown - Fort - Worth

We were three years into planting a church in downtown Fort Worth. Some core-team members—close friends—had just left, and the largely unseen fruit of our ministry didn’t seem worth the exhaustion.

Little did I know that I was about to get a kidney stone, then shingles, and then have to shepherd people through some difficult church-discipline cases. So I wondered if I should just bounce and go pastor an established church where things would be “easier.”

Patience - God - Power

Godly patience requires God’s power.

But then God met me in my discouragement. My journal entry from that day reads: “God didn’t bring me to this church plant to be awesome, succeed, and never suffer. He did it because I would get more of him. Stop asking all the suffering and discouragement to go away, and rejoice in his grace to press me more and more into him.”

Day - Ministry - Place

From that day I committed myself to patient, long-suffering, long-term ministry in one place.

In his letter to the church at Colossae, Paul prays a strange prayer: that God’s people would have power to be patient: “According to his glorious might, for all endurance and patience with joy . . .” (Col. 1:11). Really? Do we seriously need God’s power just to be patient? According to Paul, the answer is yes. Godly patience requires God’s power. This is especially true in church planting.

Leaders - Term - Term

It’s been said that younger leaders tend to overestimate what they can do in the short term and underestimate what they can accomplish in the long term. I think this is one of the most...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Gospel Coalition
Wake Up To Breaking News!