Stephen Verona, 'Lords of Flatbush' Writer, Director and Producer, Dies at 78

The Hollywood Reporter | 7/15/2019 | Mike Barnes
Click For Photo: https://cdn1.thr.com/sites/default/files/2016/01/gettyimages-487788409_-_h_2016.jpg

He also was behind the Lee Strasberg-Ruth Gordon drama 'Boardwalk' and many early music videos.

Stephen Verona, who co-wrote, co-directed and produced The Lords of Flatbush, the 1974 film that provided a career boost for young actors Sylvester Stallone and Henry Winkler, has died. He was 78.

Verona - Saturday - Home - Los - Angeles

Verona died Saturday at his home in Los Angeles after an 18-month battle with lung cancer, his wife, Ann, told The Hollywood Reporter.

Verona also co-wrote and directed Boardwalk (1979), a gloomy Coney Island-set drama that played at the Cannes Film Festival and starred veterans Ruth Gordon, Lee Strasberg and Janet Leigh.

Verona - Time - Director - Strasberg - Actors

Verona had served for a short time as a director at Strasberg's famed Actors Studio, and a 17-minute live-action short film he produced, directed and wrote about that experience, The Rehearsal, earned him an Oscar nomination in 1972.

Strasberg and he "did not get along. Everything I did, he picked on me and crucified me, so I left," Verona recalled in 2014. "But the minute [The Rehearsal] was nominated, Lee was the third person to call me."

Verona - Sept - Springfield - Illinois - Brooklyn

Verona was born on Sept. 11, 1940, in Springfield, Illinois, and raised in Brooklyn, where he attended Madison High School. He then went to art school in New York and served as a creative...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Hollywood Reporter
Wake Up To Breaking News!