Instagram-lovers swarm to toxic turquoise lake Monte Neme in Spain

Mail Online | 7/15/2019 | Sophie Tanno For Mailonline
idkwatitis (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/07/15/11/16062690-0-image-a-60_1563184925564.jpg

A turquoise lake in Spain popular among Instagrammers is being compared to the Siberian Seychelles, as the body of water is revealed as a chemically-contaminated, World War-era former mine.

Monte Neme, in the region of Bergantiños, appears to have crystal clear waters and has attracted Instagram lovers keen to pose in front of the seemingly idyllic scene, with some even bathing in the chemically-contaminated waters.

Site - Chernobyl - Tungsten - Mine - Material

The site, now dubbed by many as the 'Galician Chernobyl', was used as a tungsten mine that supplied the material for making light bulbs and hardening steel during the First and Second World War.

The body of water remains toxic and is surrounded by mounds of heavy metals like tungsten and lead that leak into the water, and can be dangerous to anyone who enters.

Bathe - Monte - Neme - Eye - Irritation

Those who have gone for a short bathe at Monte Neme have complained of eye and skin irritation.

A local Instagrammer told Spanish newspaper Publico she decided to bathe in the bright, turquoise waters because it looked 'very pretty' and she saw no signs saying swimming was banned.

Skin - Rash - Weeks

She soon began vomiting and developed a nasty skin rash, which persisted for about two weeks.

Authorities warn prolonged or repeated exposure can pose more serious health risks.

Monte - Neme - Comparisons - Beauty - Spot

Monte Neme has drawn comparisons to a Russian beauty spot known as the Siberian Seychelles or Russian Maldives, a toxic dumping ground drawing in Instagram influencers with its stunning waters and dazzling white sand.

The tropical-looking landscape is located near the Russian city of Novosibirsk, where winter temperatures plunge to minus 40C.

Vision - Power - Plant - Electricity

The vision is entirely created by a nearby brown coal-boring power plant generating electricity.

The bright blue water has a high PH and contains...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!