‘Crawl’ Director Alexandre Aja on Making a Home-Invasion Horror with Alligators

Collider | 7/14/2019 | Haleigh Foutch
Click For Photo: http://cdn.collider.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/alexandre-aja-crawl-slice.jpg

High Tension and The Hills Have Eyes (2006) director Alexandre Aja makes one **** of a return to horror with Crawl. Set during a Category 5 hurricane in Florida, the film finds an estranged daughter (Kaya Scodelario) and father (Barry Pepper) fighting off a blood-thirsty congregation of alligators. As the waters rise, safe ground rapidly disappears and their old family home becomes an infested alligator nest with no escape in sight.

It’s a lean, relentless, absolutely gripping survival horror that will have you jumping out of your seat with some of the best “holy ****” movie-going moments of the year. If you’re looking for the blood-drenched nightmares of Aja’s celebrated early-aughts work, you’re not going to find it here — at least not as much — but you can absolutely count on the same non-stop breathless, kinetic tension and horror.

Film - Theaters - Opportunity - Phone - Interview

With the film now in theaters, I recently had the opportunity to hop on the phone for an interview with Aja to talk about the challenges of shooting the ambitious film and making his return to horror. He discussed how they built a set that continuously floods, how he restructured the script when he started the project, why they decided to make the alligators 100% CGI (and what they gave the actors to work with on set,) how he approached Crawl as a home-invasion horror, nailing the casting, and why he thinks it’s such a strong time for horror movies.

Congratulations on the movie, I loved it. I have to say it’s definitely one of the most intense times I’ve had in a theater.

ALEXANDRE - AJA

ALEXANDRE AJA: Oh, thank you very much.

It looked like it was probably also a pretty intense thing to shoot and I’m just curious about the technical requirements of filming something in a set that’s increasingly filling with water.

AJA

AJA: It...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Collider
Wake Up To Breaking News!
"Those who stand for nothing fall for anything." - Alexander Hamilton