13 July: St. Ezra (Esdras), Old Testament Prophet and some spectacular baroque musical weirdness

wdtprs.com | 7/13/2019 | View all posts by Fr. John Zuhlsdorf →
TitanSwimr (Posted by) Level 3

Today is the feast of St. Ezra or Esdras.

In the 5th c. BC, the Persian Artaxerxes allowed a scribe named Ezra to return to Jerusalem to restore the Temple worship and the law of Moses. At Jerusalem he finds that the people have fallen into pagan practices. Some years later, Nehemiah will go to Jerusalem.

Commemoratio - Esdrae - Sacerdotis - Et - Scribae

2. Commemoratio santi Esdrae, sacerdotis et scribae, qui, tempore Artaxerxis regis Persarum, Babylone in Iudaeam rediens populum dispersum congregavit et omni studio enisus est, ut legem Domini investigaret, impleret et doceret in Israel.

You can give us your own perfect but still smooth and elegant version in English.

Pic - A - Catholic - Introduction - Bible

Here is a pic from A Catholic Introduction to the Bible: The Old Testament by John Bergsma and Brant Pitre published by Ignatius Press. It shows the variant divisions of books, across the different versions. As you can see, it’s complicated.

I warmly recommend this book, especially to my fellow priests.

Baroque - Operas - Artaserse - Leonardo - Vinci

I can’t help but mention one of the more enlightening but weirdest baroque operas I have ever seen, Artaserse by Leonardo Vinci after a libretto by Metastasio. It premiered in Rome in 1730 in a theater on the Via Margutta (which I wrote about during my last trip to Rome… the street, not the theater). In those days, women...
(Excerpt) Read more at: wdtprs.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!