Beloved father-of-one, 66, dies of flesh-eating bacteria 48 hours after paddling in the Florida sea

Mail Online | 7/12/2019 | Dailymail.com Reporter;Mia De Graaf Health Editor For Dailymail.com
AavyAavy (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/07/12/22/15981518-0-image-a-26_1562966300013.jpg

A father who was battling cancer has died after contracting flesh-eating bacteria in the sea in Florida over Fourth of July weekend.

William David 'Dave' Bennett, 66, and his wife Judy, traveled from their home in Memphis, Tennessee to Niceville, Florida, last week to visit their daughter, Cheryl.

Days - News - Broke - Indiana - Girl

It was days after national news broke of a 12-year-old Indiana girl, who had narrowly survived necrotizing fasciitis - brutal, fast-moving flesh-eating bacteria - on a beach nearby in Destin, Florida.

Despite having no open wounds, and repeatedly covering his sealed scars while in the water on Friday July 5, Bennett was hospitalized the next day with fever, chills, excruciating pain in his legs, and a big, painful spot on his back.

Doctors - Infection - Antibiotics - Hours - Sunday

Doctors suspected a staph infection and prescribed antibiotics, but within a few hours he went septic, coded, and by Sunday afternoon he had passed.

Posthumous tests revealed he had contracted Vibrio vulnificus, a type of bacteria that lives in sea water and under-cooked shellfish, and is lethal to about 33 percent of people who contract it.

Cheryl - Story - Detail - Warning - Anyone

Now, Cheryl is sharing their story in precise detail as a warning to anyone else vacationing in Florida where dangerous bacteria are increasingly common.

In a Facebook post this week, she explained that the family was on hyper-alert, particularly with her father, who has been fighting cancer for years.

Parents - Town - Neosporin - Liquid - Bandaid

'When my parents got in town I was fanatical about Neosporin and liquid bandaid,' Cheryl said. 'My Dad didn’t have any open wounds. He had a couple places that were practicality healed small scratches on his arms and legs that I made sure were super sealed up. My mom religiously sun-blocked him. We were taking precautions and we were good, so I thought. We had a blast.'

Bennett, she explained, loved the water. Being in Florida in...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
What's more plentiful, hydrogen or stupidity?
Sign In or Register to comment.

Welcome to Long Room!

Where The World Finds Its News!