This Conservative Group Fought IRS for Years. Now a Court’s Given Them a Victory.

The Daily Signal | 7/12/2019 | Staff
bab_ohhbab_ohh (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://www.dailysignal.com/wp-content/uploads/190712_IRS.jpg

Last month, Judge Reggie Walton ruled in favor of True the Vote, a conservative voting rights group which first sued the IRS in 2013. We spoke to Catherine Engelbrecht, the group’s founder, for our June 24 Daily Signal podcast. Below is a lightly edited transcript of that conversation.

Virginia Allen: Catherine, you founded True the Vote in 2009 in an effort to curb the rising tide of voter fraud. Can you tell me a bit more about what led you to found the organization?

Catherine - Engelbrecht - Accident - A - Group

Catherine Engelbrecht: Sure. We started quite by accident. A small group of folks, myself being one, went to volunteer and work in the polls. And although most of us had fantastic experiences, there were a handful that came back and said, “You’re not going to believe what we saw.”

This was in Texas. The things that we were seeing at the time, before voter ID, were things like people coming in with multiple voter registration cards and they presented one, and they were told, “Oh, you’ve already voted,” and then they’d pull another one.

People - Sort - People - Judge - Booth

Or people, this is sort of the most common, then as is now, people would come in and say, “I don’t remember who I’m supposed to vote for.” And the judge would take them to the booth and would instruct them in who to vote for. And that’s very different than assistance.

We didn’t know any of that at this point back in the day. … You’re just kind of slack-jawed in the moment. Like, “I don’t think you’re supposed to tell people.” But what do you do, right? I mean, it happens, it’s over.

Notes - Thought - People - Nobody

So when we all came back together, we compared notes and thought, “You know, if this is what happens when people are observing, what happens when nobody’s there?”

And the reason that we were...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Daily Signal
Wake Up To Breaking News!
"Those who stand for nothing fall for anything." - Alexander Hamilton