Even with good English skills, Muslim migrants say they can’t land jobs in Australia

SBS News | 7/12/2019 | Staff
yana.booyana.boo (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://sl.sbs.com.au/public/image/file/efa059c4-a415-4602-9b1d-26743eaa9890/crop/16x9?&imgtype=.jpg

Yousuf Karimi migrated to Australia from Afghanistan in 2007 when he was 17.

His first priority was to improve his English language skills and fulfil his dream of being the first person in his family to go to university.

English - Goal

"I worked very hard to improve my English because that was my goal," he said.

"I have to study something, you know?

Yousuf - Karimi - Dream - Job - Architecture

Yousuf Karimi says he is not giving up on his dream of a job in the architecture industry.

"I just don't want to be like the rest of my friends who couldn't have the chance to study.

University - Chance

"They want to go to university but they don't have that chance.

"Here we have opportunities, here we can go and study."

Mr - Karimi - Bachelor - Degree - Master

Mr Karimi did just that, graduating with his bachelor's degree and then his master's in architecture from RMIT at the end of last year.

However, while almost all of his classmates now have jobs in architecture, he has not even been given an interview after applying for more than 50 roles.

Yousuf - Karimi - Job - Knock - Backs

Yousuf Karimi says the job knock backs have been disheartening but he is determined to push through.

Instead, he is working in retail.

"It's very, very frustrating," he said.

"Especially when you keep getting all the rejections - you just want to say you're sick and tired of applying for a job.

Motivation - Job

"Because it keeps you discouraged, there's no more motivation that you keep on applying for the job.

"At least you receive some good emails saying to keep trying."

Study - Deakin - University - Light - Migrants

A new study from Deakin University is shedding some light on why highly qualified migrants like Mr Karimi are having trouble breaking into the job market.

The study found the education levels of Muslim migrants improve when they have higher English skills.

Employment - Prospects

However, their employment prospects do not.

Doctor Cahit Guven, the economics lecturer who led the research project, said this is not the case for non-Muslim...
(Excerpt) Read more at: SBS News
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Government, where everything works great, until something has to work.