Ignorant musings about saints

Roger Pearse | 7/10/2019 | Staff
lukealukea (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://www.roger-pearse.com/weblog/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/cropped-4219138-blue-sky-blue-water-Copy.jpg

This evening I was thinking about saints. As a protestant I know very little about them, and how the institution works. That makes me admirably suited to make some ignorant remarks on the subject.

What sparked my interest was the question of whether there was a patron saint of cats. There seems to be a popular idea around that it is an obscure lady named Gertrude of Nivelle. But … it seems to be a confection of time and imagination and the internet. In fact I wonder if the cult of various saints might arise in a rather similar way, by popular tradition, invention, imagination. Certainly the saints’ lives in medieval literature arise in this way – they are a form of folkstory, like the ballads of Robin Hood, not history. So the creation of a cult by a gradual process is not a modern thing.

So… - Time - Example - Work - God

So… is it valid? What does it mean, if it just appears over time? One could say that perhaps this is an example of the work of God, to reveal an idea to the people. But does anybody say that?

This led me to think about saints that actually probably never existed. Their cult grew up over time, in...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Roger Pearse
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: