You CAN do it! Encouraging yourself with a pep talk in second person leads to more athletic success

Mail Online | 7/10/2019 | James Pero For Dailymail.com
roxy2707 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/07/10/22/15888442-0-image-a-3_1562793372817.jpg

The old adage, 'it's all a matter of perspective,' could be especially useful for athletes looking to gain an advantage in endurance sports, according to new research.

In a new study, researchers from Bangor University say that motivational mantras uttered in the second-person perspective -- using 'you' instead of 'I' -- contribute to better performance among some athletes.

Study - Performance - Cyclists - Researchers - Athletes

In the study, which assessed the performance of 22 cyclists, researchers found that athletes who uttered phrases like 'you can do it' as opposed to 'I can do it' consistently completed the trial quicker and with more rigor.

Experts say this is the first study to show how the way 'self-talk' may affect athletic performance.

Study - US - National - Library - Medicine

For the study published in the U.S. National Library of Medicine National Institutes of Health, researchers said they chose cycling -- an endurance-based sport -- because little is known about the psychology of sports geared toward physical longevity.

'Sports psychologists have long known that self-talk can be useful for aiding enhanced performance,' said James Hardy one of the paper’s authors.

Nothing - Way - Difference - Self-talk - Person

'However, nothing was known about the way that a subtle grammatical difference in self-talk, using first ('I can do this') or second ('You can do this') person pronouns, can effect performance; that is, until...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!