Hello Ploonets. Runaway moons get a charmingly goofy name

CNET | 7/10/2019 | Amanda Kooser
idkwatitis (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cnet4.cbsistatic.com/img/QifHgld1qK1p_JPC0cfW4bP73Qo=/756x567/2019/07/10/a77967ef-515e-4ab6-9570-78e263398e18/nasaexomoon.jpg

NASA released this illustration of what an exomoon might look.

Dear Diary, I dream of one day running away from my home in orbit around my gas giant planet, which is now migrating ever closer to our solar system's star. Thanks for the push, gravitational forces! Soon I will be free from my planetary orbit and I will no longer be just another moon. I will break away and become ... a ploonet!

Moonmoon - Vibes - Ploonet - Thing - Term

If you're getting "moonmoon" vibes from this whole ploonet thing, you're not alone. The term combines the words "planet" and "moon" to describe a hypothetical moon that breaks away from its host and became its own kind of small planet.

Ploonets are now a thing thanks to a paper submitted for review to the Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society journal. It's called Ploonets: formation, evolution, and detectability of tidally detached exomoons.

Astrophysicist - Mario - Sucerquia - Author - Researchers

Astrophysicist Mario Sucerquia is the lead author. The researchers ran simulations of a large exomoon (a moon located around a planet in another solar system) orbiting a gas giant (think of a hot Jupiter) that's moving ever closer to its star.

The simulations didn't end well for a lot of these hypothetical moons, which faced demises including crashing into their own planets or burning up in the star. But some survived in the simulations to achieve their own orbits around the star....
(Excerpt) Read more at: CNET
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: