Police ask drivers to return cash grabbed after armored truck spilled contents on interstate

WPXI | 7/10/2019 | Chelsea Prince, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
ridge-khridge-kh (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://media-ncd.cmgdigital.com/photo/2019/07/10/Dozens_of_drivers_stop_on_highway_to_gra_0_15830243_ver1.0_640_360.jpg

Heads up Dunwoody, it's cloudy with a chance of cash... Last night around 8:00 PM, Dunwoody officers responded to the...

Posted by Dunwoody Police Department on Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Weird things have spilled on Atlanta interstates before — foam tomahawks, produce and a whole mess of livestock, to name a few — but no spill has been as lucrative as the one on I-285 Tuesday evening.

An armored truck was driving in the westbound lanes of the interstate when a side door flew open, spilling its contents onto the interstate. Cash was all over the road, according to one driver who called in to WSB AM.

Bunch - Paper - Road - Everybody - Shoulder

"I saw a bunch of paper floating around in the road and everybody pulling over on the shoulder, and as I got closer I noticed it was all just cash," the driver said.

>> Read more trending news

Spill - Interstate - Traffic - Hours - Time

Typically, a spill on an interstate would stop traffic for a few hours. This time, drivers stopped willingly. Video uploaded to Reddit showed at least half a dozen cars stopped on the shoulder as drivers grabbed at the flying bills.

By the time Dunwoody Police Department officers arrived around 8 p.m., the opportunists were gone. But, as it turns out, even money you find on the side of the highway isn’t free. They’re going to need that cash back, Sgt. Robert Parsons told the radio station.

Control - Property - Use - Owner - Crime

“When you come into control of property that you know is lost or mislaid and you appropriate that to your own use, without returning it to the owner, certainly it is a crime,” he said.

Those who took the...
(Excerpt) Read more at: WPXI
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Millions in tribute, but not a penny left for charity.