Huge California military base still closed after big quakes

ABC News | 7/9/2019 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://s.abcnews.com/images/Technology/WireAP_591d3e69d672422c83c86eada6f45d84_16x9_992.jpg

A sprawling Navy base in the Southern California desert is still closed to nonessential personnel Tuesday as the military works to determine the damage from two powerful earthquakes last week.

Teams have so far surveyed just 10% of the 1,200 facilities at Naval Air Weapons Station China Lake, spokeswoman Margo Allen said. It's unclear when personnel and their families will be able to return.

Quakes - Magnitude - Struck - Thursday - Friday

Two strong quakes — a magnitude 6.4 and a 7.1, respectively — struck Thursday and Friday near the small town of Ridgecrest, just outside the 1.2 million-acre base in the Mojave Desert.

Water and gas service have been restored at the base, but engineers are ensuring buildings are safe to enter. The shaking cracked walls in a chapel and school and brought down commissary shelves, Allen said.

Everything - Walls - Lot

"Everything came off the walls. There's a lot of cleaning up that still has to happen," she said.

One person suffered a minor...
(Excerpt) Read more at: ABC News
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Sign In or Register to comment.

Welcome to Long Room!

Where The World Finds Its News!