What can I do when others are suffering?

What God Wants for Your Life | 7/8/2019 | Staff
chrismpotts (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://wp-media.patheos.com/blogs/sites/174/2013/11/DaveTestFacebookCover.png

In caring for those who are in one of life’s difficult places, the most common question is, “What can I do?”

The desire to “do” something is entirely understandable. There are countless realities in our broken world that we wish were different, and – in a culture that emphasizes problem-solving and competence — it is natural to think in terms of what we can do. But, of course, there is often little or nothing that can be done. Many losses leave their mark.

Years - Book - Brother - Battle - Brain

Some years ago, now, I wrote a book about my brother’s battle with brain cancer called The Dave Test. Based upon his struggle to find a loving, supportive community, I asked 10 questions that I still believe are a real test of our ability to be present to the needs of others who find themselves in desperate places:

Can I say, “Life sucks”?

Gods

Can I give up my broken gods?

Can I avoid using stained-glass language?

Things

Can I admit that some things will never get better?

Can I give up trading in magic and superstition?

Smoke

Can I stop blowing smoke?

Can I say something that helps?

Others

Can I grieve with others?

Can I walk wounded?

Friend

Can I be a friend?

Those questions were designed to help people reflect — not just on what we can do in order to be present to friends in hard places — but to reflect on the kind of people that we can be. The questions were also designed to shine a bit of light on the kind of faith that sustains us in hard places, because all too often what we offer to others is based upon distorted notions about God and prayer. I still believe those questions are a useful tool for self-reflection that...
(Excerpt) Read more at: What God Wants for Your Life
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Sometimes I Wake Up Grumpy. Other Times I Let Her Sleep
Tagged: