‘Peace to This Household’: Homily for the 14th Sunday in Ordinary Time

The Deacon's Bench | 7/6/2019 | Staff
idkwatitis (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://wp-media.patheos.com/blogs/sites/56/2019/07/jonathan-harrison-G4UAlDJeJFk-unsplash.jpg

Click For Photo: https://wp-media.patheos.com/blogs/sites/56/2019/07/jonathan-harrison-G4UAlDJeJFk-unsplash-768x512.jpg

I’m on vacation and traveling through scenic Virginia this weekend. But here are a few thoughts from my homily for this Sunday from several years ago:

It’s worth noting: when Jesus sends his followers into the world, they are not sent empty-handed. They go bearing one simple message. “Peace.” Jesus tells them: “Into whatever household you enter, first say, ‘Peace to this household.’”

Peace

Peace.

It is also the first word he will say to them after the resurrection, when he appears in the upper room. And it is the great message he is asking them – and asking us – to carry into the world.

Carry - Sack - Money - Sandals

Carry no sack, no money, no sandals.

Carry, instead, peace.

Word - Christ

It is his first word to those who wish to follow Christ.

Two thousand years later, I’m not sure we’ve done a very good job of spreading that word. Whatever else there may be in the world today, there is very little peace. And I’m not speaking only of the absence of war – though God knows, we don’t lack for wars.

Countless - Erupt - Lives

They are also the countless conflicts that erupt in our daily lives.

Between husbands and wives.

Parents - Children

Between parents and children.

Between neighbors. Between co-workers. Even between strangers on the street.

Battles - Cars - Intersection - Yellowstone - Boulevard

I can tell you, some of the fiercest battles I’ve seen are waged in cars at the intersection of Yellowstone Boulevard and Queens Boulevard.

You’ve probably seen a few yourself, just out in our parking lot.

People - Lives - Peace

But how often do we put those aside and say to people in our lives: “Peace”?

How often do we make peace our mission…and our message?

Christ - Others

How often do we strive to be Christ to others?

How often do we strive to...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Deacon's Bench
Wake Up To Breaking News!