‘Good Omens’ Laughs at Christians, and That’s a Good Thing

The Gospel Coalition | 7/6/2019 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://media.thegospelcoalition.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/20151825/bad-omen1.jpg

Good Omens, a new series on Amazon Prime Video, is probably the most interesting and directly theological television show since The Good Place. This is not to say these shows are theologically accurate; just that they are asking theological questions in interesting, often entertaining ways.

Some Christians might interact with shows like Good Omens only on the level of condemnation, calling it blasphemy and demanding its cancellation, as one Christian group recently did. But as Glen Scrivener pointed out in a recent video commentary on Good Omens, this is not the most helpful approach. We can and should acknowledge that the show is irreverent and rife with theological errors, but as Scrivener points out, the show’s makers have faulty theology in part “because [Christians] have preached faulty theology, we have lived faulty theology.”

Space - Time - Shows - Omens - Name

There is certainly space and time to engage shows like Good Omens in the name of theological accuracy, calling foul on its errors and pointing out its own inconsistencies. But we ought first to engage it with humility, recognizing that if the world has misunderstood Christianity, then perhaps we’ve been communicating it poorly.

Good Omens, the shared handiwork of Neil Gaiman and the late Sir Terry Pratchett, hit unsuspecting bookshelves in 1990. I first stumbled across this cheeky little tome midway through a ravenous binge of Pratchett’s work—Good Omens was dedicated “to the memory of G. K. Chesterton, a man who knew what was going on,” and I was accordingly hooked.

Book - Raison - D'être - Tradition - Story

Which might seem strange, given that the book’s raison d’être is arguably to satirize my faith tradition. Moreover, as noted above, the story is admittedly riddled with astounding theological errors. But then again, so are all-time classics Paradise Lost and The Divine Comedy. And after all, this is a comedic take on the end times written by two non-Christians, so...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Gospel Coalition
Wake Up To Breaking News!