‘Midsommar’ Star Jack Reynor On the Shot That Made Him Actually Cry, and Flipping Gendered Horror Traditions [Interview]

/Film | 7/5/2019 | Ben Pearson
Click For Photo: https://d13ezvd6yrslxm.cloudfront.net/wp/wp-content/images/Jack-Reynor-Midsommar.jpg

At its heart, writer/director Ari Aster’s twisted new folk horror nightmare Midsommar is a relationship drama. Florence Pugh (Macbeth, Fighting With My Family) plays Dani and Jack Reynor (Transformers: Age of Extinction, Free Fire) plays Christian, a couple who are slowly drifting apart and whose problems come to a head during a trip to an isolated Swedish commune. It’s a mesmerizing “break up film” that’s punctuated by occasional bursts of violence, and watching this couple work out their issues leaves you with some images you won’t soon forget.

I sat down with Reynor for in a spoiler-filled discussion about the movie, and he told me about the jaw-dropping scene that instantly became his reason for making the movie, the movie’s comedic elements, the shot that made him cry for real, and more.

Final - Spoilers - Midsommar

Final warning: spoilers for Midsommar ahead.

Before we really dig in, I want to talk quickly about that shot in which your character, Christian, is cradling Dani after she finds out about her family’s death.

Shot

A largely overlooked shot.

That must have been pretty intense to be in Florence’s presence when she was in such a vulnerable state.

Florence - Relationship - Relationship - Friends - Things

Yeah, and Florence and I have a great relationship, a very warm relationship. We’re close friends and one of the really difficult things in filming Midsommar was she’s suffering for so much of the film, and she’s so committed as an actress that you can really feel the pain when she does it. That moment in particular that you’re talking about, I just remember her laying in my lap and just screaming, and I was so upset by it. I was really crying at that moment, just feeling the weight of emotion that she was portraying. It became very, very real for me. It’s a testament to her as an actress. She’s just absolutely phenomenal. I...
(Excerpt) Read more at: /Film
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Speaking only as an infidel......